½ pound pork sausageDirections
1 medium apple (Ida Red, Empire, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith)
2 medium onions, chopped
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground mace
½ teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 slices whole-wheat bread
- Cook the sausage meat in a large skillet for 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Peel, core, and chop the apple. Add the apple and onions to the meat with the ginger, mace, sage, thyme, and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Crumble the bread into the pan. In a small bowl, beat the egg, add it to the pan, and mix all together.
- Stuff into a 10- to 12-pound turkey and bake. When the turkey is done, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the stuffing. If it has not reached 165°F, transfer the stuffing to a baking dish and bake until it reaches 165°F.
- The stuffing can also be baked separately in a greased 1½-quart baking dish for 45 minutes at 350°F.
Excerpted from Apple Cookbook © 2001, 1984 by Storey Publishing, LLC.
Written by Olwen Woodier. All rights reserved.
Go to: A Twist on Tradition Thanksgiving Menu for more great Thanksgiving recipes.