When you don’t know what to do next, do what comes naturally: breathe.
- Exhale completely through your mouth.
- Close your mouth, and inhale deeply through your nose to the count of 4.
- Gently hold your breath to the count of 7.
- Exhale through your open mouth for the count of 8.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 for about four cycles twice a day as needed. Keep your counting rhythm consistent, and most of all, be gentle with yourself. Return to normal breathing anytime the exercise feels too difficult, or if you begin to feel lightheaded.
Text excerpted from Joy in Every Moment © 2015 by Tzivia Gover. All rights reserved.
Tzivia Gover, author of Joy in Every Moment, is an author and educator who facilitates self-growth and awareness through her workshops and retreats on writing, dreamwork, and mindfulness. In addition to holding an MFA in creative writing from Columbia University, she is a certified dream therapist; a certified proprioceptive writing instructor; a Reiki master; and a creative, curious, and dedicated dreamer. She is an active member of the International Association for the Study of Dreams and the founder of 350 Dreamers, an international network of people who dream together for global healing. Visit her website here.