20 appetizer servings, or 60–80 hors d’oeuvre pieces
2 cups all-purpose flourFilling
1 teaspoon salt
1¼ cups cold unsalted butter, diced
6 tablespoons unsalted butterDirections
3 large onions, peeled and cut thinly into half circles
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
1 lemon slice, seeds removed
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
¾ cup green pepper jelly, warmed
1½ pounds sharp cheddar cheese, preferably Grafton 4-year-old Cheddar, grated (about 6 cups)
Freshly ground white pepper
- Make the dough: Place the flour, salt, and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Continue to process; slowly add ½ cup of water in a steady stream until dough holds together, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Make the filling: Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the apples and lemon slice and sauté until apples are fork tender. Add the thyme, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out dough into either a large 18- by 12-inch rectangle or two smaller 9- by 6-inch rectangles. Place dough on a parchment-lined baking pan. Brush the crust with the jelly. Layer with half of the grated cheese, all of the onion mixture, and the apple mixture, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Add pepper to taste.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 16 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting. Garnish with additional grated cheese and thyme, if desired.
Recipe from Grafton Village Cheese Company
Excerpted from Dishing Up® Vermont © 2008 by Tracey Medeiros. All rights reserved.
Go to: A Twist on Tradition Thanksgiving Menu for more great Thanksgiving recipes.