This love liqueur, from the pages of Organic Body Care Recipes, is gently powerful, warm, spicy, and sweet, with a hint of tartness, especially if you add the cherries. Eleuthero is revered for increasing physical and sexual endurance, stamina, energy, and resistance to all types of stress. Spicy, biting ginger has been shown to stimulate circulation and impart warmth to your core, then radiate that heat to the extremities. The recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare, but you need to allow 30 days for the flavors to mingle and mellow, during which time you should give the contents a daily shake.
There's just enough time left to mix up this love potion for Valentine's Day!
½ cup good-quality, smooth, 80-proof brandy
½ cup good-quality, smooth, 80-proof vodka, unsweetened
½ cup distilled water
¼ cup favorite raw honey
2 tablespoons eleuthero root (sometimes called Siberian ginseng), dried, sliced, or diced
1 tablespoon dried or candied ginger root, diced or sliced (Australian or Thai ginger has the most sumptuous flavor)
½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
5 dried, pitted cherries (optional but a delicious additive)
2 small dried or candied apricots, diced
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean, cut into ½-inch pieces
1. Add all ingredients to a pint-size canning jar or slightly larger glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Cover the jar with a piece of plastic wrap or a small plastic bag and screw on the lid. Shake the mixture vigorously for 15 seconds to blend the honey.
3. Store the jar in a cool, dark place for 30 days, remembering to shake the contents daily as the flavors mingle and mellow.
4. Strain the liquid into a beautiful bottle and cap. You may eat the plumped fruit bits if you wish, but be careful — they’re potent!
5. Refrigerate your love potion, and consume within 3 months.
Consumption tips: Pour a small amount of chilled liqueur into two beautiful glasses or goblets, and enjoy this delightful elixir by the sip with your valentine. Because it can be quite intoxicating, though, consume just a bit. Alternatively, you can drizzle it over sliced, ripe strawberries; peaches; bananas; and cubes of rich pound cake for a decadent dessert.
Recommended for: passionate lovers
Use: as desired, but avoid if you prefer to abstain from alcohol
Follow with: an intimate evening, then a good night’s sleep (Don't drink and drive!)
Prep time: approximately 20 minutes, plus 30 days for extraction process
Blending tools: Shake the storage jar daily.
Store in: decorative glass bottle
Yield: approximately 1¾ cups